Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dear Sister

Growing up with a bunch of older half brothers and some younger brothers was fun, but I always wanted a sister. I have a sister, a half sister to be technical, but we have always been in different stages in life growing up and she lives on the East coast so I don't get to see her very much. Now she's moving overseas because of an opportunity with her husband's job. I love Mindi and now that she is moving even further away I probably won't be able to see her for a few years. I just wish that I had been better at making sure that when I did get to see her that I was spending that time wisely. Instead of wishing for a sister that would be more convenient to be close to, I wish that I had tried harder to be close to the sister that I have.

I remember growing up and thinking how beautiful Mindi was. She is still beautiful! When I wanted to start wearing a lot of make-up to 'fit in' when I was in middle school, my mom reminded me of how pretty Mindi was even though she didn't wear tons of make-up. Mindi let her natural beauty show.

Mindi and her husband, Colby, have brought two sweet, sweet boys to this earth. Jack and Gavin are not only adorable, but so kind, sweet, and loving especially for being so young. Mindi has also become another role model of the type of mother that I would like to become once it is my time to marry and start a family.

This has been a huge lesson for me. Sometimes I get nervous when we have another addition to the family. I'm afraid that they won't like me because I'm just the obnoxious, chatty younger sister or that its hard to relate when we are in totally different stages of life. To be honest, one of the reasons I chose to go to school in Logan because most of my older siblings came to school here and I felt like maybe I could get closer to them somehow by going to school here. It didn't really work out the way I thought it would, but I love Logan anyways.

So don't let insecurity or assumptions get in the way of getting closer to the ones that you love. You'll regret it and although we will be able to see our loved ones after we die, that shouldn't give us the excuse not to use our time here on the earth to grow close to them as well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Alex for your kind words. I love you too and am thankful that you are my sister. I wish there was a way to get you to New York City before we move... it has been talked about for years and never quite came to fruition.

    Yes, there may be years and miles between us, but as you said, we have a lifetime to grow closer to one another in other ways.

    I am proud to be your sister and am excited for you to blossom on the same campus that I did much growing myself. Enjoy! Make the most of life. And most importantly, continue to keep Him close, so you will always know the best path to take.

    Much love,
    Mindi

    ReplyDelete