Thursday, November 25, 2010

Family Feast

Working at a restaurant you have to sacrifice a lot of holiday family time to work, but I must say I am thankful that I didn't get my name drawn to work Thanksgiving. Going off to college I have really learned how much you appreciate your family and realize how much you really love them. I'm not saying that all of the sudden I am  the perfect daughter and treat my family as I probably should, but I do try to take advantage of the moments I have with my family and I listen to conversations differently.

Driving to Idaho Falls was one of the scariest experiences of my life. Driving from Salt Lake the roads weren't too bad, but once we got into Cache Valley you couldn't avoid the ice. Once into Idaho and the Shelley area it was the same thing. I actually witnessed so many 'almost accidents.' There was a car that spun out of control and did a 180 degree turn into the metal barrier on the side of the road and then the truck hauling an overloaded trailer started fishtailing across all four lanes of traffic. I actually almost hit a car that wanted to turn left and then changed back into my lane right in front of me and I tried to stop on the ice, but that never works. God was definitely looking over my dad and I. 

After we arrived safely at my grandmother's I forgot how much I miss my extended family. I love sitting back and seeing my mom and my grandmother (my mom's mom) interact and talk and think about what its going to be like when I am my mom's age and how we will interact. I also had the wonderful privilege of seeing my uncle Keith and aunt Jan. We have been talking for years about making arrangements for me to come live with them for a while. Keith suggested that I get a job over in Jackson Hole which is fairly close to where they live. I am taking that suggestion seriously. I mean just imagine working in an area where there is beautiful wilderness all around you and everyone is there to have a good time. It would be the first time that I personally saw the Teton Mountains. I have been dying to climb those beauties for so long and I might even get my chance to do just that. Keith is also a huge tease and of course knowing that I am boy crazy he has to ask about the boys in Logan. He also brought up an analogy that he tells the missionaries right when they come home. Its something along the lines of, "you have been in the desert for a very long time (referring to being away from girls), but don't get too anxious and drink out of the first mud hole you find, look for the most pure and clear water." Well I figure I can use that analogy in my anxiousness to get married.

Thanksgiving dinner was super grand! We even had pumpkin pie, well actually I thought it was pumpkin, but it was squash! It was so good.

Another wonderful thing that I am excited about is that my best friend will be back from Virginia on TUESDAY!!! Sadly I will not be at the airport to see him, but I dream about how it would be if I was there. And while we are on the subject, God bless the armed forces out there protecting my rights and my future family's rights.

Well I have to admit that it is really, really, really, really cold. I forgot how cold it gets and I am very envious of my friend who is in Arizona right now in 65 degree weather. In northern Utah and Idaho we barely reached double digits.

"If my world were to cave in tomorrow, I would look back on all the pleasures, excitements and worthwhilenesses I have been lucky enough to have had. Not the sadness, not my miscarriages or my father leaving home, but the joy of everything else. It will have been enough."
-Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment