Saturday, December 1, 2012

My (kinda) dating sabbatical

I went on a date the other night with another guy I knew from high school. We'll call him...Captain America. Like I said before, the captain and I went to high school together; he graduated the year before me. Although we had a lot of mutual friends, I didn't really know him. All I really knew was that he was a really good kid.

Semi-long story short, Captain America and I didn't really get a chance to chat during our date for multiple reasons. In fact, we only had the drive home, about 20 minutes, to really talk and get to know each other better.

I've had awkward or conflicting doorstep moments before but that night was pretty bad. I don't think Captain America thought so, but I did. He gave me a hug... :) ... and I told him thank you and that I had had a great time. Now in the past if I went on a date, enjoyed it, and wanted to go on another one I would say something like, "I'd love to do something again sometime." Ya know, just to let the guy know how I felt. So I'm on the doorstep with Captain America and I'm about to mention that I'd like to go out again, but I stop myself. I'm going on a mission, why would I suggest that we go out again if I'm just going to leave? And would he think it's weird that I'm encouraging it when I should be preparing for a mission and not marriage? Oh, but what if we ended up dating and then he wai-  I stopped my thought process there and said "see ya" instead.

Well the next morning my mom is full of questions as usual. Typically I have to ask her what her impression was of my date, but this time she brought it up. And Captain America had impressed her. Great, now that I've vowed to not date for 18 months I finally meet a guy my mom is sincerely impressed with.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I figured that once I handed in my papers and the mission plans were final that guys wouldn't ask me out anymore. Guys are a wonderful distraction I could do without for a while.

Well I was wrong. Well, wrong about thinking that the mission thing would keep guys away. And even though I have other things to be thinking about, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somehow, someway Captain America will ask me out again.

Man, I'm already a horrible missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment